As a previous connoisseur of the romance novel, I had their formula so much down pat, that I could have easily written my own. Back in those good old days when the Mills & Boon novel reigned supreme, what struck me about my favorite stories was that no matter how badly the main character of the novel treated his leading lady, all would change on his profession of love.
This popular formula saw men almost incapable of expressing their true feelings to the women they were so enamored by. So blissfully ignoring the heroine, being cruel to her or even flirting with other women, were the order of the day. Of course this all changed usually towards the last two or three pages of the story when said man mustered up the courage to declare his undying love and proposed marriage all in one fell swoop.
There springs a common anomaly of relationships; professing words of love while actually not quite living up to those words. In our romance-laden culture, talking love has become almost second nature for both men and women. We hear it so often in love-songs, that it sometimes seems like a master tactic for a guy to quickly get his way. For those of us in settled relationships where we already know that we’re in love, demonstrating love can almost be taken for granted. We may have grown so accustomed to saying it over the years, that the idea of doing something special to show it may seem a stretch. Even the busy nature of our everyday lives can overwhelm us to the extent that we fail to give our relationships the attention they deserve. But no matter how long we have been married, it’s important that we recognize that love is first an action word, which requires demonstration.
Whether male or female, each of us in a relationship needs to know how much we’re loved. The following 25 tips should give some great ideas for showing and not just telling that special someone just how we feel about them.
1. Cook your partner’s favorite meal and do a special decorative layout of such; this can be especially meaningful on a regular day when it’s totally unexpected
2. Do an at-home massage or spa treatment complete with scented candles and oils to create that setting which says that your loved one is truly special.
3. Send your partner to a classy spa for a full day of expert handling and relaxation.
4. Volunteer to babysit the kids so your wife can go shopping or simply hang out with the girls.
5. Pre-purchase tickets for your guys favorite game.
6. Buy your partner that special toy or gadget which you know they’ve had their eyes on for the past couple of months.
7. Arrange a special date at your spouse’s favorite restaurant.
8. Send flowers when there’s no special occasion.
9. Give your spouse the time to work on a special project or to pursue their passion by holding down the fort at home.
10. Take over a regular at-home chore for which your partner is primarily responsible.
11. Wash your partner’s car.
12. Surprise your spouse with a new book from their favorite author.
13. Write your lover a letter or e mail which itemizes why and how much they are loved.
14. Send a special love-song request via the local radio station.
15. Buy your lover a bottle of their favorite wine and make some time to share it with them.
16. Massage your partner’s neck, shoulders and or feet after a tired day at the office; especially without being asked.
17. Make a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or blend a favorite cocktail or health-drink for your spouse.
18. Plan a surprise romantic getaway weekend or trip for you and your partner.
19. Buy that sexy lingerie or those crotchless panties you long go see your woman in and do all kinds of hot things to her to let her know just how much of an effect she’s having on you.
20. Arrange babysitting if necessary or get away from home and plan to get it on with your partner with a night of steamy, uninhibited lovemaking.
21. Put on some sexy music and do an exciting dance and striptease for your man.
22. Initiate some novelty in the bedroom which you think your husband or wife would like to experience.
23. Plan a lovemaking session where all the focus is on giving to your lover all the best that you’ve got.
24. Write your own love song or poem and romance your partner with its words or music.
25. When you’ve messed up in the relationship or offended your spouse, don’t hesitate to say and to show how sorry you really are, especially when you believe that you are right.